2.21.2013

memphis soul

The Steve Guinn family moved to Memphis from Texas a year after I was born.  My mom and dad had never moved out of the state.  Grew up in Waco and Dallas and both went to the colleges in their respective cities.  If you have met any Texas people, you know they are very prideful about their state and don't really ever want to move, or if they do they find a way back later in life.

Well Memphis grabbed Steve-o by the heart and he hasn't ever wanted to leave.

Why am I telling you all this?  Well my dad loves music.  He loves horns, he plays the trumpet, and he fully enjoys good soul music.

Memphis is full of soul.  Good soulful tunes.  Have you ever been to the Stax Museum?  If you haven't, you should go and learn about the history that comes from our beloved city.

So... combining the two: dad's love of music/horns and Memphis' soul we have the music we grew up listening to, and I'm so thankful for the memories I have that revolve around my dad and this music.  One album in particular is this one..

Memphis Soul Classics.  


I could tell you every song on this album and which one is coming next because I think it was on repeat in my dad's car, and he always drove us to school.

While I was cleaning out my desk today, I found this ol' album (this is his actual copy, notice the crack in the case = loved) and popped it in and I can't tell you how nostalgic it makes me feel.  Makes me think of happy childhood memories and listing to my dad sing the words and play his air trumpet in the car.  Leslie and Scott know what I'm talking about!


If you can find this gem, I highly recommend you grab it and listen to it over and over again and I promise it'll make you feel soulful and good inside.

We love Memphis and thankful for the history of soul here, and I'm spreading it from my dad to you!

1 comment:

Dudley said...

I've seen Steve-O playing his air trumpet relatively recently...he's still got it!