I posted about some good soup recipes back in the fall, and here is another recent favorite I made for a soup swap. Saw it on good ol' pinterest (where all recipes come from these days) and had to try it.
Spinach & Lemon Orzo Soup (love spinach, lemon, and orzo) from here. I made a lemon orzo soup last year for this same swap, so why not make a different variety of it this year?
Spinach & Lemon Orzo Soup
2 T olive oil
4 garlic cloves, smashed or minced
1 large onion
1 t red pepper flakes
1 pkg frozen spinach, thawed & drained of excess water
1 1/2 c orzo
8 c chicken or vegetable broth
Juice of 3 lemons
Fresh parsley & parmesan, to serve
1. Heat olive oil in large pot or dutch oven. Add in onion and garlic and cook until translucent.
2. Turn heat to medium high and add red pepper flakes, spinach & orzo. Cook about a minute, then add broth.
3. Bring to light simmer, then turn down heat and simmer about 15 minutes, or until orzo is just barely tender.
4. Take soup off heat and let it cool for a moment.
5. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl and then whisk in the lemon juice. Time to temper the eggs! Add a ladle of the soup into the egg bowl with continuous whisking. You don't want to have scrambled eggs in your soup, so keep whisking. Add a couple more ladles of soup, whisking very well.
6. Add egg mixture to pot and again, whisk continuously. Turn heat to low and stir continuously until the soup has slightly thickened. Garnish with parsley and parmesan!
March Reading Recap
2 weeks ago